Hydroxycut Hardcore Review: Caffeine-Powered Hydroxycut
Over the years, Muscle Tech’s popular Hydroxycut fat burner has been modified several times, mostly to deal with changing supplement laws. Initially, Hydroxycut was “the” ephedra stack, and many people who contact us still rue the day that this popular product was discontinued.
Alas, there’s nothing we can do about that, so instead we’ll have to consider the hydroxycut hardcore version.
This newest version of hydroxycut is made up of four proprietary complexes…
1. Proxyclene Fat Loss Blend: the “fat burning” heart of this compilation, the bulk of this blend is made up of green tea (an ingredient that shows some weight loss promise—see this review for complete details) and lots and lots and lots of caffeine (about 600 mg for a full day’s worth of caps).
This is definitely not a product for anyone who is sensitive to stimulants, nor anyone with high blood pressure or heart issues.
Pregnant women need to be careful too, as high levels of caffeine can impact fetal growth.
Additionally, there may be an issue of caffeine withdrawal once you try to stop taking the product (caffeine withdrawal is recognized as a disorder).
In fact, if you must experiment with this product, we’d recommend starting with a single capsule to assess your sensitivity.
On its own, caffeine has a well established record as a thermogenic, and does deliver mild weight loss results (see Am J Clin Nutr. 1989 Jan;49(1):44-50, Am J Clin Nutr. 1980 May;33(5):989-97). It also cheaply and effectively addresses the most common complaint of dieters; lack of energy.
When present in combination with green tea, it seems to be somewhat more effective (Obes Res. 2005 Jul;13(7):1195-204), and is a common one-two punch in many fat burner supplements.
This blend also also contains white willow bark, which is standardized for salicin.
In the old days, white willow bark was often used as the aspirin element of the now illegal ephedra / caffeine / aspirin stack.
There is no reason to believe aspirin (in any format) offers similar, synergistic benefits in non-ephedra compilations. The benefits it will provide are similar to those provided by aspirin; pain relief and a mild anti-inflammatory action. Of course, how effectively asprin works is largely dose dependent, and we have no idea how much salicin is included here.
Lastly you will find Aspidosperma quebracho blanco, likely included here for its ability to lower blood pressure and also its diuretic properties.
2. Norepidrol Intensity Focus Blend: This element of the formula is probably the greatest use to athletes, but will provide benefits to anyone. It contains
- Deanol: enhances memory and mood and boosts physical energy.
- Xanthinol nicotinate: a potent form of niacin which boosts memory and cognitive function.
- Evodia rutaecarpa: a Chinese fruit that some claim burns fat by increasing the body’s production of heat, as well as reducing the body’s ability to store fat. Early animal studies confirm this effect, but there’s no human-based evidence yet.
- Inula racemosa extract: standardized for alantolactone, a compound that displays antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- Codonopsis: often used as an alternative to ginseng, this compound may stimulate the central nervous system and increase endurance.
3. Lasidrate Delivery Blend: this element of the hydroxycut hardcore formula contains a choice blend of ingredients that improve the bioavailability of this product — the body’s ability to absorb and utilize all the ingredients.
4. Yohimacore Yohimbine Blend: Yohimbine is the active compound of Yohimbe, which is derived from the bark of an African tree. Yohimbe is reported to facilitate muscle growth, and because of its effect on the central nervous system (Yohimbe acts upon alpha-2 adrenergic receptors), may encourage weight loss (studies indicating weight loss are promising but not revolutionary — see Isr J Med Sci. 1991 Oct;27(10):550-6).
That said, yohimbe isn’t a benign ingredient — people with high blood pressure or kidney disease should avoid Yohimbe containing products, as well as women who are, or who may become pregnant.
There’s also some concern about combining Yohimbe with ephedra and other stimulants (could lead to variations in blood pressure levels) or antidepressants.
Bottom line on Hydroxycut Hardcore?
The combination of green tea and caffeine is the equivalent of a thermogenic “no-brainer” and ensures this product will deliver some fat burning results (the other ingredients are simply “icing on the cake”).
Throwing yohimbe into the mix doesn`t make this product a whole lot more effective, but it does ensure it will probably tear your head off and leave you anxious and jittery, unless you are very experienced using stimulant based fat burners (again, if you insist on experimenting, always begin with the smallest dosage to assess your tolerance).
Of course, how much you “get” from this product depend on your own diet and exercise program, both of which are necessary if you expect to see any results at all. In fact, many of the over 100 people who left comments on Hydroxycut on our feedback site indicated that what they liked best about Hydroxycut Hardcore was that it allowed them to work out harder for longer, or alternatively, provide them with the boost necessary to make it to the gym in the first place.
Like many of the better fat burners available, Hydroxycut Hardcore can help, but it will not work miracles on its own.
Read more Hydroxycut Hardcore user reviews here!
|Summary of Hydroxycut Hardcore|