Review: The Transformation Solution By Bill Phillips
I finished reading the “Transformation” book (the core of Bill Phillips’ Transformation Solution program) about an hour ago. Since then, I’ve spent a good deal of time sitting here staring at a blank screen, tapping my fingers and trying to determine the best way, exactly, to summarize its objectives and accurately convey the depth of the publication to you. It’s not often that I read something that makes me stop and say…
“Wow! This has so much potential to change lives!”
The problem, quite frankly, is that Bill Phillips’ “The Transformation Solution” isn’t a new diet—a novel new way to balance macronutrient ratios, or something similar. And it’s not merely about transforming your body. That’s one part of it, certainly. But the mechanics of what, when and how you eat is actually discussed very little—only a single chapter of this publication is dedicated to the topic.
So what is the “Transformation Solution” program exactly then?
Well, probably the easiest way to begin to define this is to start with Phillips’ definition of transformation…
“Transformation is a process of changing the whole person to become healthier, happier, lighter, more energized and aware.”
Yeah, that’s initially what I thought too; new age, feel good mumbo-jumbo.
But as I read on, I realized that was a totally inaccurate and completely dismissive assessment. I should have known better. Bill Phillips, former EAS CEO and author of the best-selling Body For Life, knows his stuff. Later on in the same chapter, Bill gives a more revealing hint as to the scope of the program, as he discusses the effects his new approach to weight loss is having on people…
“… it became more and more obvious that we were no longer just treating the symptoms which were showing up in the physical body; we were getting to the root cause of the difficulties within.”
And then I got to thinking…
What if the over-consumption of calories that leads to continuing weight gain is not tied to something as simple as an overactive “sweet tooth”? What if it’s tied to an emotional or self-esteem issue, a history of abuse, or something similar?
And what if we were to take the steps necessary to address whatever internal issues were preventing us from making the external changes we want?
Now we’re getting much closer to the crux of this program and what differentiates it from your typical diet program, which focus almost entirely on external issues (i.e., which foods to eat and when, which exercises to perform, for how long, etc, etc).
For instance, Phillips argues that…
“Whenever we try to change ourselves from the outside in, it never lasts. We lose weight only to gain it back. Or we might get motivated for a short period of time but it doesn’t last. We might temporarily change our habits and patterns through self-restraint, but individual will power is simply not enough to keep us on the right path for any considerable length of time.”
So the “Transformation Solution” is not really a diet program, although weight loss will certainly be a “side effect”. It’s an 18-week journey of learning, accountability, forgiveness, acceptance, giving and catharsis. And more, if that’s even possible. It’s about reaching inside yourself—deep inside—and purging yourself of the internal problems that are preventing external changes.
I guess I would have to say it is a combination of the better self help programs with a smart diet and exercise plan.
Of course, there’s plenty of practical stuff to do as well. To give you an idea of the scope of the program, I’m going to provide you with a brief outline of each of the 18 chapters—which are labeled as “assignments” and are to be completed at a rate of one per week. Each ends with a series of “action steps”, or tasks you need to do to complete the assignment…
- Chapter 1: The Base and the Summit: Determine where you are, and where you are going. Set definitive goals.
- Chapter 2: Exercise Rx: No surprise here—exercise is important.
- Chapter 3: Right Nutrition: Yes, you have to eat properly. Here’s how you do it.
- Chapter 4: The Community Connection: Being part of like community will help you achieve your goals. Become active in the Transformation community (membership is included in your purchase).
- Chapter 5: Lifetime Intentions: What is my purpose, and what am I here to accomplish?
- Chapter 6: Healthy Spaces Makeover: Time to throw out the junk food and stock up on healthy stuff.
- Chapter 7: Progress Not Perfection: “I am not and will never be perfect, therefore I focus on progress instead.”
- Chapter 8: The Big Forgive: Let go of grievances that hurt you, as well as increase your risks of certain diseases.
- Chapter 9: Accepting Responsibility: I have to stop blaming others for the condition of my body and my life; ultimately, it’s my responsibility.
- Chapter 10: The Positive Mindset: Life is a reflection of your state of mind.
- Chapter 11: Releasing Concealments: Time to let go of the embarrassing mistakes of my past.
- Chapter 12: Making It Right: It’s time to resolve issues with family, friends and others.
- Chapter 13: What’s So Funny?: Laughter is the best medicine… use it to your advantage.
- Chapter 14: Addictive Habits: Conquer destructive behaviors.
- Chapter 15: Mind and Meditation: Setting aside quiet time to reflect never hurts.
- Chapter 16: Heart of Gratitude: Count your blessings.
- Chapter 17: Making a Difference: Give something back to society.
- Chapter 18: Reflection and Awareness: Where are you now?
The Transformation book is 247 pages long, which means there’s plenty of substance here. All the topics are thoroughly discussed and well-documented (The Transformation Solution includes an entire section of scientific references used to support Bill’s assertions). I never found it to be long-winded or boring; all in all, its a pretty decent read.
Of course, since this is a downloadable PDF file and not a “hard cover” book, you’ll definitely want to print this off and place in a binder for easy reading and quick reference (that’s what I did).
If you’d rather listen than read, each chapter is also available as a downloadable MP3 file for playback on your iPod. You’ll also get a success journal to document your progress, access to the Transformation community, and numerous video and audio bonuses which I examined only briefly.
So is Bill Phillips’ Transformation Solution for you?
If all you are looking for is a conventional diet program; eat so much of this and so much of that, do this exercise and then that one and so on, this is probably not the program for you.
However, if you have been down the dieting path many times and have never experienced lasting success, and/or feel you might need to try something a little different to obtain results, I have no hesitations about recommending this program to you. I think it has the potential to make a real difference in people’s lives.
Bottom line? Well worth investigating!
To learn more about Bill Phillips’ Transformation Solution, including purchasing options, click here!