So… you are on a diet, and you have done so well. You have seen the weight drop off so you know all your hard work is finally paying off.
Then you start to get hungry.
REALLY hungry. With MAJOR food cravings. Heck, you’re dreaming of stuffing your face with delicious food.
You know that losing weight involves sticking to your diet and cutting your calories. You know that you shouldn’t be thinking about food, but the temptation comes over you to eat something. You get yourself out of bed, and you know you are going to go for a midnight snack because you can’t sleep when your stomach is crying out. It is the worst time to eat, yet you have a gaping hole that needs to be filled….
Does this situation sound familiar? Has it happened to you?
Thankfully there are foods that will fill you up, and not contain vast amounts of calories. Try to eat these when you feel you have the munchies, your appetite and your waistline will thank you it. With that said, here are the 10 delicious foods that fill you up but don’t contain a lot of calories…
1. Low calorie chicken soup. At around 80 calories per serving, chicken soup isn’t just for when you have the flu, but it is also fantastic for hunger cravings. It is quite substantial, and if you are craving something savory, this quick meal is just the ticket.
2. Small baked potato and low fat salsa (90 calories). You might think the potato is packed with carbohydrates, but it is actually quite low in calories and very filling.
3. Low fat cottage cheese. Not everyone loves cottage cheese – the texture can take some getting used to, but it is an acquired taste. Not only is it filling, but is packed with protein and calcium. At only 70 calories, its worth giving a try. You can make it a little tastier by tossing in a couple of handfuls of frozen berries (raspberries, blueberries and strawberries), which will add some extra fiber to your meal, and only a few extra calories.
4. Red Peppers. They go great with salad, pasta, or even by themselves. They taste very zesty, add spark to any food, and can be eaten without cooking. At 30 calories, red peppers are one of my favorite vegetables.
5. Mushrooms. These are the absolutely my favorite tasting vegetable – at amount 4 calories for an ounce of mushrooms, you can pig out as much as you want, and they are great tasting. You can cook them with 1 calorie spray, or boil them, or add them to bulk up any recipe.
6. Pineapple. Fresh pineapple is a treat for someone who has a sweet tooth. An entire fresh pineapple is only 200 calories, and a thick slice should just set you back 40 calories. The only thing you must avoid is the tinned variety which is sitting in calorie rich syrup.
7. Zucchini. Zucchini is an extremely versatile food that absorbs the flavor of anything around it. It is a great meat substitute and very filling at about 4 calories per ounce.
8. Spinach. Spinach is not only Popeye’s favorite food, but it should be yours as well. It is very powerful tasting, very filling, and is only 7 calories per ounce.
9. Rice crackers. These are the classic food for dieters. They are only 10 calories per rice cracker, and initially may taste bland, and on their own are not a great diet snack because of their high glycemic index rating. However, when combined with a teaspoon of all natural peanut butter, or with spinach, mushrooms and / or cottage cheese, you can make a delicious snack that won’t leave you regretting it in the morning.
10. And my number one food is….. turkey. Yes, skinless turkey breast is virtually free of fat and is approximately 25 calories per ounce. You can get turkey bacon, turkey jerky, and if you are a meat lover, turkey is a dieter’s paradise.
Does that help?
Give these delicious foods a try and see if you can’t conquer your cravings!