More Tainted Supps…
Here we go again – the FDA has identified another round of weight loss products adulterated/contaminated with sibutramine and/or phenolphthalein.
Sibutramine is an appetite suppressant that elevates the risk for adverse cardiovascular events. It was banned in 2010. Phenolphthalein is a chemical with laxative effects. It’s also a potential carcinogen. It was removed from OTC laxative products in 1999.
The most recent culprits ID’d are:
- Fat Zero: contains both sibutramine and phenolphthalein.
- XIYOUJI QINGZHI CAPSULE: contains sibutramine.
- Bethel-30: contains sibutramine.
- Extreme Body Slim: contains sibutramine.
- Paiyouji Plus: contains sibutramine.
- Fruit & Plant Slimming: contains both sibutramine and phenolphthalein.
- Strawberry Balance: contains both sibutramine and phenolphthalein.
- Meizi Evolution: contains sibutramine.
And so it goes…
I’m not a fan of proprietary weight loss formulas in general, but if I were to buy one, I’d stick with a product marketed through reliable retailers (like the ones in the sidebar!) vs. fringe products found on eBay, Amazon and one-off product web sites. It’s much safer that way, IMHO.