1 Simple Food to Lower Your Blood Pressure!
You have probably received emails with a subject line like the one above, am I right?
If you’ve opened and read it – or a similar one offering a simple and effective cure to any number of common or deadly maladies – you’ll know they all follow a similar pattern…
1) There are simple foods or supplements that can completely eliminate the need for pharmaceutical drugs.
2) The pharmaceutical companies only make money when they are selling you drugs, and therefore have a vested interested in keeping you sick.
3) There is a well meaning, ethical company of caring individuals who have “natural” products that hold the key to the solution.
What they neglect to mention is…
1) If the drug companies have a vested interest in keeping you sick, so do they, since the same financial conflict of interest applies to them as well. Last I checked, alternative therapies were not free.
2) While the drug companies have to prove their products are both safe and effective no such conditions are applied to alternative medicines. They can pretty much say what they like – without any evidence to support their statements or fear of reprisals.
I am not arguing that the pharmaceutical industry is always on the side of the angels. It isn’t. Nor am I arguing that all alternative therapies are bogus. Some offer measurable benefits; after all, herbs, medicinal plants and so forth are pharmacologically complex, so it’s unreasonable to expect that they could offer some benefit.
3) It’s irresponsible and dangerous to suggest that people can “throw away” their prescriptions and rely on “natural” alternatives to treat disease and chronic conditions. For the vast majority of human history, natural medicines were the only option we had to us – and that’s largely why most people didn’t live over the age of 40. Like it or not, the reason why life expectancy continues to rise is because of pharmaceutical drugs.
4) Many pharmaceutical drugs *are* derived from natural sources – like plants, herbs, fungi and so on. For example, Digitalis, a drug prescribed for congestive heart failure, is derived from the seeds and leaves of Purple Foxglove. It’s disingenoius therefore, not to mention that the two industries are often working with the exact same raw materials.
5) The biggest health related issues in North America (diabetes, heart disease, and cancer) are directly related to obesity and cigarette smoking – the things for which we are personally responsible. Shifting the blame to the “big pharma” eliminates personal responsibility from the equation. This may make us feel better in the short term, but in the end, if we don’t personally take account for what we do or do not do in our lives, we’ll be no further ahead. In short, this fabrication doesn’t do us any favors.
In short, companies using this tactic are relying on “fear” and common misconceptions to sell you something. It’s an effective, yet underhanded and deceptive tactic, and you should avoid doing business with any company that utilizes it.
“Fear” is just one of the commonly used underhanded tactics I document in my publication, “Dirty, Rotten Tricks! Supplement Company Lies That Cost You Money.”
If you haven’t grabbed a copy, you can do so here…